Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Grateful Dead March 5 1992 Hampton Coliseum Hampton, VA

      

     Good day everyone. Sitting back with my wife enjoying some  tasty bean to the Grateful Dead on a nice rainy day. Anyways this show is a request from a friend, I had something else in mind but once I gave it a listen again, well, I changed my mind. 

      Incredible, I get to see the boys play Hampton! I could not make it to the 89' shows, so I thought that was it, I had missed my chance of seeing them play in Hampton.  Well to mine and everyone else's delight about a week or so before the spring 92' tour was to begin they announced two nights at Hampton Coliseum! Hell yes!

     Help>Slip>Franklins was a great way to open this show. There is some really nice interplay between Garcia and Hornsby during Slipknot. Damn fine version and a great opener. Next came the east coasts debut of the Same Thing. They used to do this with Pig Pen at the helm back in the day. Actually I really like this version, it's about as bluesy as the latter day Grateful Dead got and at least on this night did it right. Alright Jack-A-Roe, nice upbeat version, this set is turning out well. Let Phil sing, let Phil sing! I really like Tom Thumbs Blues and Phil made sure to put an exclamation point on the lyrics started out on Heineken...a little call out to his  past troubles . Let it Grow, perfect song to end this set. Nice first set nothing mind blowing but well played and they seemed to have something to say.
      Eyes is always welcome to open the second set and I really enjoy these 90's jazzy versions. Another easy coast debut was next, Vince Welnicks, Long Way to go Home.  This song never really ventured far from home and tonight was no different. Next comes Estimated, I love Jerry's use of the midi on these later versions, sometimes I would find myself looking for a sax on stage. He's Gone>drums...can't get enough of this song. Love the placement, I know that's where most of the versions get played but there's a reason for that. Still felt like they were playing for Brent. Drums was strong and for some reason I really like this space. I usually skip right over space but this one is like a beautiful sunset and when it flows into the Wheel you know things are right! Miracle was pretty standard, get the crowd pumped up rocker after space. So Many Roads, what a great Garcia song. Even during some of the worst nights Jerry seemed to come alive for this one. Good Lovin', go Bobby get down. Love this one tonight, the boys really got the arena moving and I love the vocal interplay. US Blues sent us out into the cold Virginia night, feeling lucky to have seen another Dead show.

J




 Set One
Help on the Way >
Slipknot! >
Franklin's Tower
The Same Thing
Jack-A-Roe
Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues
Let it Grow
 Set Two
Eyes of the World >
Long Way to go Home >
Estimated Prophet >
He's Gone >
Drums >
Space >
The Wheel >
I Need a Miracle >
So Many Roads >
Good Lovin'
 encore
US Blues






        

























1 comment:

  1. Hampton, was my first show in '87...I have always liked the place for concerts.

    ReplyDelete