Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grateful Dead June 26 1993 RFK Stadium, Washington, DC

    I have been enjoying this show for the last few weeks so why not share it and hopefully someone else will see the Grateful Dead actually had some pretty good shows after 1991. Listening now I find this show is much better than I remember.  Sting opened up this show and if I can find my copy, I will put it up to grab.

    Strong version of Stranger to open the show. Jerry was really into this one tonight. A semi rare Brown Eyed Woman followed, while not the best version ever certainly not the worst and kept the energy going. Spoonful sucked the energy right out of the room, good thing it is fairly short. I always enjoyed Jerry's newer songs and this Lazy River Road made you forget about that train wreck of a spoonful. The Rest of the set was fairly standard with a decent Bird Song thrown in. All in all an above average first set for this time period.

    I love this second set. Aiko Aiko is always a fun way to kick start a set and this version got the stadium rolling. Never was much of a fan of Vince's Long Way to go Home but this one is played well. The meat of this set is the Playing in the Band > Terrapin Station > Drums....40 minutes of classic Grateful Dead. Jerry's playing is spot on and the jam following Playin and Terrapin is like days of old. I don't care to hear the Last Time especially after that pre drums segment of the show..I was hoping for something else, maybe the Other One but you can't have it all, right? An absolutely beautiful  Days Between was next and I believe this song never really got the praise it deserved. Since it was a Saturday night we knew what we would be getting to close out the show and even though it always gets played the same I was happy to get One More Saturday Night with the greatest band in the world.


6-26-1993 RFK Stadium, Washington, DC

Set List:

Feel Like a Stranger
Brown Eyed Women
Spoonful
Lazy River Road
Masterpiece
Bird Song
Picasso Moon

Iko Iko
Long Way Home
Playin' in the Band
Terrapin Station
drums
The Last Time
The Days Between
Throwin' Stones
One More Saturday Night

Liberty

Notes:

with Bruce Hornsby on accordion - Sting opened

2 comments:

  1. I was there!! What a show!!! Still missin Jerr Bear after all these years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you happen to have any pics or a recording of the first opening band that day?

    ReplyDelete